Who are ya?

Or more specifically, who am I?

Given that I am inviting you in to share in this ridiculous road to the Nationals it would make a degree of sense to introduce myself and briefly (always briefly) tell you a little about myself.

I've been playing Malifaux (which my laptop amusingly corrects to Halifax whenever I type it) for just under a year now. A friend was recuperating from surgery meaning he was off work for a good 8 weeks and I had recently found myself amongst the unemployed.  A good friend of ours had told us about Malifaux during the 1st edition days and we had ignored him entirely in favour of our game of choice, 40K.  But finding ourselves with considerably more time on our hands than normal we found our way to Wyrds website and specifically the Vassal module and engine.

Over the next 8 weeks or so we played 3-4 games a day daily, he playing Pandora almost every time (with a smattering of Lilith) and me, as is my usual want, trying a different master/faction every third game or so.  We were utterly hooked with these new novel concepts to going such as "editing", "consistent use of language" and "balance". Something we were frankly just not used to! I was instantly hooked.  A tabletop miniatures game with thought behind it and a fantastic range of models? I didn't stand a chance.

Now it is fair to say I am a "butterfly gamer" or that I suffer from "puffy tail syndrome".  I like to try things out, I like to know how everything works.  It's always been this way, 40K, WHFB (RIP), WoW. I like to try all the things.  Over the last year I've played pretty much every Master in the game, competitively with Resurrectionists and Neverborn.  I've breached the top 100 of the U.K. Rankings (my 1st goal of the year) and continue my advance towards the top 50. I've come as high as 2nd in tournaments, only lost twice in tournaments and taken home a prize at each one I've attended so far.  Casually I've tried every faction at my local store.

All except Guild.  I own some models, I've toyed with the idea of giving them a go but never actually put them on the table. So despite not knowing what Master I will be using I am looking forward to the challenge of this process.  I have narrowed down exactly what I will be trying to start with, but more of that at another time.

In the mean time I continue to be on Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/beardminis/ 

Comments

Popular Posts