Why I’m playing Outcast* or how I stopped worrying and learned to love the bomb



So in a previous blog I mentioned I was looking for a change and the reasoning behind that.

But the long and short of it came down to two reasons.

1) I am the TO for my local community and as such I prefer to play something relatively straightforward so that I can answer rules queries, keep things organised etc. as much a fan of Cadmus & Nexus as I am I don’t think playing something overly complex is probably a good idea. Sorry Hamelin.

2) I like to promote a wide faction spread/I am a hideous snowflake. These amount to the same thing pretty much. The last Tournament I ran had the following spread, of which I was one of the Neverborn players and came 4th (the perfect TO result). 

But there’s some other things I’ve been reflecting on here:

1. you can place too many restrictions on yourself. If you decide that you want your crew to do too many things eventually as you layer more and more restrictions on yourself and your choices the returned possibilities are nothing. And that’s ok. There’s no point searching for a perfect thing that fulfills every possible wish you could possibly have because the chances are you might be asking too much of the available options. 

2. Secondly, and in many ways more importantly, one option involved absolutely no additional expenditure of money. And that for me is Outcasts, obviously at some point I have purchased them but that just makes them an existing asset, so I should probably use them. Right?

3. Lastly I’ve decided to not restrict myself quite so much on the complexity front. I like bullshit engines and rubegoldburg crews, so why deny myself that fun. If that means I lose some games at tournaments?  Who cares? Play the fun thing.

So with that in mind at the weekend I shall be playing this nonsense vs a good friend on stream and I can’t wait.


*for now 


Comments

Popular Posts